Section R105.2 2015 IRC Work Exempt from Permit.
- One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet (11.15 square meters). (Still need to meet setbacks so check with Planning)
- Fences not over 7 feet (2134 millimeters) high.
- Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet (1219 millimeters) in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.
- Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18,927 liters) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.
- Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
- Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches (610 millimeters) deep.
- Swings and other playground equipment.
- Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches (1,372 millimeters) from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
- Decks not exceeding 200 square feet (18.58 square meters) in area, that are not more than 30 inches (762 millimeters) above grade at any point, are not attached to a swelling and do not serve the exit door required by Section R311.4.
- Non-permanent coverings consisting of pole and fabric.
- All pre-manufactured single unit detached storage containers used for storage only. (Still need to meet setbacks so check with Planning).